A special Rpc error occurs on server xxxxx These certificates are tagged with following Send Connectors

So our SAN SSL certificate was coming up for renewal and I really wanted to expand what was covered by it to include more devices. In general anything internal was using a self signed certificate and anything external used the SAN SSL. That worked fine but when it came time for renewal I figured why not just get a wildcard SSL and assign it to anything I could. Also would keep me from having to update subject names when there was a change.

So I bought a Wildcard SSL from GoDaddy and started assigning it to everything. Switched out the certificate on our firewall and VPN clients, mail server, web server, etc. Everything seemed to work fine. Then it came time to remove the old one once things were tested. Removing from IIS was fine, removing from the firewalls likewise fine, but removing from Exchange Control Panel gave the error in the title.

Now we do have a Exchange Online Hybrid deployment setup with centralized mail transport. We use a cloud based Barracuda spam/malware filter so all email in and out of the company goes through them then to our internal mail server. Any mailbox on Exchange Online then goes from our mail server to it and back. Well apparently when I set this up it made a send connector to route mail to Exchange Online and since it uses TLS attached the certificate that was currently being used which I was now trying to delete.

Unfortunately you can’t just go into the Send Connector in the ECP and reassign the certificate but you can do it by following some steps based on the Microsoft Set-SendConnector page. First get the list of your send connectors and the list of your certificates:

Get-SendConnector
Get-ExchangeCertificate

Copy the send connector that was in the error message and also the thumbprint for your new certificate. Next we will use that certificate to pull out the information needed to assign to the send connector and assign it:

$cert = Get-ExchangeCertificate -Thumbprint 505438CC857A0456549B5698C9A65859B
$tlscertificatename = "<i>$($cert.Issuer)<s>$($cert.Subject)"
Set-SendConnector "Outbound to Office 365" -TlsCertificateName $tlscertificatename

Once your send connectors are updated you should be able to remove the old certificate. Also if you are using TLS on your receive connectors you will want to do the exact same thing but using the Set-ReceiveConnector command.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.